Police News Plus online daily e-news was launched by Dr Prateep.V.Philip IPS – DGP (Civil Supplies, CID-Tamil Nadu Police)
Friends of Police – The movement was started by Dr Prateep.V.Philip IPS when he was SP, Ramanathapuram district in 1993.
It was then extended by the Hon’ble Chief minister to the whole state of Tamil Nadu in 1994. Generally, social service organizations are started to empower people by teaching them about personal development and self-sustainable community initiatives.
While NCC is mainly focused on the development of youngsters towards the National Security and Defense and NSS on Social Up-liftment of the society, FOP is committed to develop the full potential of a person as a compassionate leader.
It aims at a holistic approach in helping him in his personal growth by offering activities such as tai-chi, meditation and others.
In its FOP multimedia training, the participants are introduced to …
- Capacity Building
- Community Learning and Development
- Legal Literacy
- Learning Civic Responsibilities
As a citizen, each individual has responsibility towards other citizens, society in general, the community they live in, and most importantly the environment. In short, FOP Training Center offers skills in informing, inspiring, teaching and empowering both the public at large and specific subgroups.
The purpose of FOP is to spread the concept of Community Policing. It is designed to increase the capacity of police officers to make instant decisions, engage in problem- solving activities and facilitate partnership between police and the public to make the police, people friendly and make the people, police friendly.
The FOP brochure identifies several activities which FOP volunteers can get trained in
- To bring Police and Public close
- To enable members of the public without regard to caste, creed or status, to establish rapport with police force. It is a method of people empowerment.
- Correcting negative image of the police and projecting a two way positive image.
- To increase transparency and openness in the police.
- To create a sense of belonging and responsibility-support and faith of the people.
- To promote a sense of civic responsibilities and duties among the public by means of educating the general public.
- Right information at the right time.To promote crime awareness among the people and enable prevention of crimes.
- Education-Create crime awareness-enables prevention of crime.
- Public will come to know the good work of police while police will get public sentiments on all levels.
- To act as a force multiplier by involving the FOPs in community policing. With the existing low police-public ratio, FOPs along with Police can deter and prevent crimes.
- To make available a potential pool of manpower resources with positive attitudes to the police to meet the requirement of police.
- To channel local resources at short notice to meet any eventuality.
- To educate the members of the public about their role and responsibility in policing.
14.To learn as well as to teach human values.
CRITERIA FOR FRIENDS OF POLICE
- Friends of Police should be in the age group of above eighteen years.
- Friends of Police should have completed their tenth standard.
- Friends of Police should not involve in political activities.
- Friends of Police should not have any criminal history.
- Friends of Police should be in a position to allot time to involve in public service.
- Friends of Police should be in a position to maintain good relationship with the public as well as the police personnel.
- Friends of Police should have contact relationship with the nodal officers of their police district.
- The FOP s should understand that it is a voluntary movement and hence should not expect any monetary benefits for their services either from the police or from the public.
- Friends of Police should be in a position to identify the problems in their locality through youngsters, senior citizens, women etc.
- Friends of Police should be in a position to create awareness on the existence of the FOP movement to the public.
- Performance enhancer
- Image enhancer
- Crime control
- Force multiplier
- Education of the public
- Community Service
- Follow safety and Traffic rules
- Lend a helping hand
- Follow principles of Honesty, Punctuality, and dedication
- Assist the Police in preventing crime
- Assist the Police in maintaining law and order
- Assist the Police in Traffic regulations
- Give useful suggestions to solve local problems
- Protect your own property
- Help create awareness
- Help the needy
- Be aware of your rights and duties
- Be available for service
Don’t go to police station with a recommendation.
- Don’t get involved in anything unlawful.
- Don’t be party to any dispute.
- Don’t personally criticize any individual Police officer
- Don’t openly fight anti social elements.
- Don’t practice any bad habit.
- Don’t get involved in any political activity
- Don’t misuse your status as FOP
- Don’t be involved in collection of funds or donations
- Don’t be inactive as FOP but live up to the ideals and ideas of FOP.
Opening of Friends of Police unit-Procedure guidelines
- Volunteer Selection
- All students are eligible to apply as volunteer for Friends of Police.
- All Volunteers would need to fill the FOP application, with a photograph and copy of a ID card.
- The unit, however reserves the right to select or reject an application, without citing any reason (subject to approval of the college management).
- Conduct and Discipline
- . Any student selected as volunteer must adhere strictly to the rules and regulations of the unit.
- A Volunteer must maintain discipline, both in Public and within the College.
- The volunteer should not be used as a platform or medium for any other organizational work.
- The Volunteer should not act in anyway that is detrimental to the interest of FOP.
- There is no ceiling on the maximum number of duties performed.
- The volunteer MUST be kind, respectful, and helpful to all.
- A volunteer who has opted for night rounds should spend a minimum of 6 hours in a month for the activity.
- He would however accompany the Policeman or work in a group wearing the FOP badges/bands.
- Volunteers who have chosen Traffic assistance would need to spend a minimum of 3hoursin a month.
- He however should be trained in Traffic awareness and rules.
- A volunteer should keep a record, with himself as well as the FOP unit of all work done concerning FOP.
- A Volunteer must be regular and punctual and diligent in his attendance and duties.
- The unit can organize and take part in Awareness and Social service programs.
- The Management of the FOP unit must be in continual touch with the head office or FOP faculty.
- Meetings, Seminars & Gatherings
- A Volunteer must attend all meetings that are called for in the college or otherwise regarding FOP.
- Special permission can be granted by the President on cases he thinks fit.
- Regular meetings with the Head office /SHO needs to be followed.
- The Management of the FOP Unit, rests with the Faculty Advisor and the team of office bearers headed by the President.
- All decisions taken, concerning the unit must be approved by the Faculty-Advisor of FOP Unit of the College and the State administrator-FOP.
- The president reports to the faculty-advisor, The College Management, the state administrator and the project Director FOP.
- Concerning the internal working of the Unit, the decision of the Faculty Advisor (or) the President shall be final.
- Management Provisos
1) The faculty-Advisor on recommendation of the President has the power to terminate (or) suspend (or) take any other suitable action that he thinks appropriate on any volunteer, even without seeking an explanation from the volunteer concerned.
2) FOP unit deserves the right to withhold the Certificate of Volunteering to any volunteer, if it thinks so fit on justifiable grounds.
3) Except for action taken on the President and Vice-President, no other disciplinary proceedings against any volunteer need to be informed to the office of the State Administrator–FOP or the Project Director-FOP.
4) Out-going President and Vice-President shall nominate the next President and Vice-President and they shall assume charge; subject to the approval of the State Administrator-FOP and the Project Director-FOP.
5) The President and Vice-President shall select a team of Office Bearers with the approval of the Faculty Advisor.
6) Once terminated, a volunteer cannot be re-admitted except on order by the State Administrator–FOP or the Project Director-FOP.
7) All queries, suggestions and complaints by a volunteer should be addressed only to the Faculty Advisor and must be passed only through the President.
8) Except the President and the Vice-President, no other Office-Bearer can use their designation outside college premises (or) print ID-Cards, nameplates, etc with their designation for use outside the college, even for work with regard to FOP.
- Miscellaneous Provisos:
1)In the rise of any conflict of opinion between Office-Bearers (or) between volunteers, the decision of the President (or) the Faculty-Advisor will be final and binding.
2)The Faculty-Advisor (or) the President can transact any business with regard to FOP unit and are the only authorized signatories to letters, memos and any other official (or) quasi-official documents concerning the FOP unit in the college.
3) The Faculty-Advisor (or) the President can form any number of subcommittees for the smooth functioning of the unit.
4) A volunteer (including Office-Bearers and Faculty-Advisor) is not entitled for any benefits, monetary or otherwise for work done with regard to FOP, except if any temporary guidelines are issued supervening upon this rule.
- Alterations and Amendments
1) No regulations that are listed above can be breached, circumvented, except in places where supervening guidelines are allowed.
2) Any amendments to this constitution will be valid, only if both agree to it, in writing: The State Administrator- FOP and the Faculty-Advisor.
3) A copy of the letter of amendment must be filed along with constitution for further reference.
4) The constitution can be altered (or) amended suo-Motto (or) only on the recommendation of the President, Faculty-Advisor and the State Administrator-FOP.