Police arrest AAP lawmakers for assault on Delhi Chief Secretary


After registering an FIR against several Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLAs in connection with the alleged assault on Delhi Chief Secretary Mr. Anshu Prakash, the police arrested two of the legislators on Wednesday.

The police detained Deoli MLA Prakash Jarwal on Tuesday night from south Delhi area while he was returning home in Ambedkar Nagar after attending a marriage function and was escorted to the Defence Colony police station.

He was then handed over to Civil Lines police station, which arrested him formally on Wednesday morning, the police told.

A team of the Delhi Police also reached the residence of Okhla MLA Amanatullah Khan on early Wednesday but he was not at home.

The legislator, flanked by his supporters, eventually turned himself in at Jamia Nagar police station.

He was detained and later handed over to Civil Lines police station, where he was arrested.

The police,anticipating resistance during the arrest, deployed personnel outside Mr. Khan’s house on Tuesday night. He was not found at his home. On Wednesday, he was detained from his constituency and handed over to Civil Lines police station for further proceedings.

In his complaint, Mr. Prakash had alleged that he was sitting on a sofa flanked by Mr. Khan and another AAP MLA during the Monday night meeting at Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s residence.

Mr. Prakash told that the two legislators started hitting and assaulting him with blows to his head and temple without any provocation.

Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Harendra Kumar Singh told that Mr. Khan and Mr. Jarwal have been arrested and they were produced in Tis Hazari courts.

A case has been registered at Civil Lines police station on a complaint filed by Mr. Prakash, he added.

In his complaint, the top official alleged that the assault was “premeditated” and a “conspiracy” by all those present. The FIR filed in the case includes charge of criminal conspiracy.

Mr. Kejriwal’s adviser V. K. Jain was also detained by the police around 7 a.m. on Wednesday. He was released around 11 a.m.

In his complaint, Mr. Prakash had mentioned receiving a call from Mr. Jain on Monday for the meeting at Mr. Kejriwal’s residence at midnight.

Mr. Jain was brought to the Civil Lines police station and was released after questioning, the police told.

Share the News on

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *