Shopian: The Anti-Terrorism Day marks the death anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. He was assassinated on 21 May 1991. The objective of the day is to promote national harmony, mitigate terrorism, and unity among people of all caste, creed, and sex. The day holds importance when it comes to ‘terrorism’.
The day spread awareness about the violence caused by the terrorists. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it will be observed with precautions. MHA has advised that the ‘Anti-Terrorism Pledge” may be taken solemnly by the Officials in their rooms/offices itself, keeping in view the safety of participants and organizers and avoiding public gatherings.
On 21 May, every year Anti-Terrorism Day is observed to provide knowledge to the youth about terrorism, its impact on human suffering, and lives. This day also makes people aware of an anti-social act of terrorism. Indian Government has taken the step by celebrating Anti-Terrorism every year to highlight the importance of fighting with the activities of terrorism.
The official announcement of National Anti-Terrorism Day was made after the assassination of India’s seventh Prime Minister Mr. Rajiv Gandhi on 21 May 1991. He was killed in Tamil Nadu in a campaign by a terrorist. Then, under the V.P. Singh government, the center has decided to observe 21st May as Anti-Terrorism Day. On this day Anti-Terrorism pledge is taken in all the government offices, public sector undertakings, and other public institutions, etc.
The objectives behind celebrating Anti-Terrorism Day are as follows:
– To spread the message of peace and humanity.
– To increase awareness among people about these terrorist groups and how they plan to strike the terror.
– To promote unity among the people by planting a seed of unity among the people.
– Also, providing education and training to the youngsters will prevent them from joining different terrorist groups.
– To generate awareness in the country about the danger of terrorism, violence, and its dangerous effect on the people, society, and whole country.
The Shopain Police observed “ANTI TERRORISM DAY” in all Police establishments of District Police Shopian and a pledge was taken by all officers/officials to oppose all forms of terrorism and violence.
Leave a Reply